Saturday, April 28, 2012

Lonely Lullabies

Symphony of silver tears
sing to me and soothe the ring in my ears


My very favorite song of all time is actually a very personal song to the artist. Adam Young, under the project name "Owl City", writes of the darkness of heartbreak that's surprisingly relevant despite its personal message.

How many times have I turned on this song and thought "Yes. This is the personification of loneliness, the utmost epitome of those dark nights you just feel alone no matter who you have, if you're in a relationship, how good of a week you may have.

Overcast, these gloomy nights wear on
But I'm holding fast
Cause it's darkest just before the dawn.


Night after night, staring at nothing, thinking "What else? Why is it like this? Why, despite my efforts do I feel like this, do I put myself through this?" But, like the song says, I always just troop right though it.

It really is darkest right before it gets better.

I sang my princess fast asleep
cause she was my dream come true
Oh, Annmarie, believe me.
I loved you.


The only thing I'm going to say about this, to not take away from the personal story behind these words which I have little knowledge of is the last two lines. If you listen to the song, you will fine these words are so compelling, the way they wish, the way they plead. And the slight but incredible difference two letters can make. Between "love" and "loved". But you can hear in it, he really does love her, now. And he's not going to ever not love her.

But now those lonely lullabies
Just dampen my tired eyes
Because I can't forget you
Because I can't forget you


Again, a lot of this song is about the words, but would it hold the same effect had some lines not been repeated, or the flowing piano and strings between verses not been added, or even two letters change. I think the fact that "Because I can't forget you" is repeated is incredible because it demonstrates that, despite his incredible efforts and not matter how hard he tries, no matter how many nights he stays awake, tossing and turning, he can't get Annmarie out of his head.

I'll dissolve when the rain pours in
When the nightmares take me


When it starts getting rough, and you start to feel the edge of the darkness, you can't just ignore it. It absorbs you, and you just...
wash away.
You really do dissolve. This chorus is my favorite part because it puts into words what I never could. When it all comes crashing down around you, you're consumed in it. There's no way out

I will scream with the howling wind
Cause it's a bitter world
And I'd rather dream.


When you're all alone and just give up and everything just kind of sucks, there's nothing you can do, is the most powerless feeling ever.

It really is a bitter world.
We all would rather dream. To escape the cruel sharp edge of reality, to fall asleep, and stay in your dreams where the bitterness can't ever touch you again, where you control what happens.


Speechless. The first time I heard this he was on stage and singing and playing this and everybody in that crazy, loud ballroom of fans just stood and watched. And listened. Without a word.

Dizzy love turned a star-lilly pink
And hung above our lids too flushed to blink.


Falling in love is crazy and bittersweet and we often get swept up with it. Dizzy with it. The giggly giddiness in our tummies and the blushing. We don't prepare ourselves, especially the first time. We don't see it coming. We don't stop to think for a second to protect ourselves. And why should we.

But Icy Blue froze the fairytale cold
Though I treasured you, and you sparkled with someone to hold.


Despite our efforts, despite the way we feel and how things are and how well we treat them.

Sometimes, it just can't.

Annmarie, he'll never forget you.





“The only songs I’ve ever written 100% accurate to a very personal relationship of mine is a melancholy piano ballad entitled called Lonely Lullaby.”Young said the song Lonely Lullaby is about his ex-girlfriend Ann Marie who he described as the “most wonderful, beautiful woman” he knew.

He was “madly in love with everything about her” and said she had a huge impact on his life.

Maybe communication was the reason their relationship didn’t last.

“Ironically I’m too shy to webcam with friends, or even family for that matter. I’m not much for phone calls or texting either. Communicating is just not something I’m crazy about. I’d rather communicate through music.”


-http://www.andpop.com/2011/07/17/interview-owl-citys-adam-young-on-album-collab-with-lights-and-relationships
"Your new song “Lonely Lullaby” refers to your ex-girlfriend Ann Marie many times. Did you consider changing her name in the song?
Ann Marie was, and certainly still is, such a beautiful person to me, and I’d never written such a personal song before. I knew I had to include her name in the ly rics because the song is truly what I wish I could say to her now that’s she’s gone. A lot of my songs are written purely from the imagination and some have no representation of my personal life, but “Lonely Lullaby ” was the first song I wrote almost ENTIRELY about something as personal as a romantic relationship. Ann had blue eyes, her favorite flowers were pink star-lilies, and I used to literally sing her to sleep over the phone while she was home and I was on tour. The song is, in fact, so personal, it almost hurts to listen to it now that such a perfect relationship has come to an end. I wasn’t sure if I had something as “genuine and pure” inside of me but the song basically wrote itself and I’m proud of it."
-http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=52183309

This one is for all of us who would rather dream.

Other songs to listen to by the lonely and nostalgic:
This is the future- Owl City
Sailboats
I live Alone
Explorers, All by Sky Sailing
Some Nights-Fun.
Somewhere Only We Know-Keane
Timshel- Mumford and Sons
Cough Syrup- Young the Giant
Paradise- Coldplay
The Freshmen- Jay Brennan, originally by Verve Pipe
Carry On- Fun.


If you're lost and alone
And you're sinking like a stone
Carry on.


I'm always here loves. And I'll never forget you
Forever Blue
[lessthanthree]
Girl in Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment