Friday, January 14, 2011

If you be my sky then I'll be your star.

Once many many years ago, the earth was a sea, a sky, and a lighthouse.

The sky was very bright in the daytime, for he was happy with his friend the sun's company.

But at night, the sky got dark and sad. He missed his friend the sun, who went to sleep until the next morning. The sky had no company.

There was also one reflection. A reflection from the lighthouse in the sea. She watched the sky with fascination, wishing she could see the rest of the world from above. All day and night she sat in one place, forbidden to move.

One night, after sun left, Sky got sad and began to cry. His cries turned into a storm, and massive waves flipped and turned the reflection back and forth, every which way. One wave that stood as tall as the lighthouse flipped reflection up, where she landed in the sky, brightening it.

"Why are you crying?" She asked.

Sky replied, seeing her company "I'm lonely. It's dark here. I don't like the dark"

The reflection thought a moment. "Well, I'm not very big, but I'm something. May I stay with you"

"Of course," Sky said, and the clouds cleared. "What may I call you?"

The reflection thought a moment. She couldn't well be a reflection anymore. So she thought of the prettiest name for herself.

"I'm Star" She finally said.

They talked and talked all night, until Sun began to peek up over the sea.

"I have to go," said Star. "But I will still be here. You just cannot see me."

"Will I see you later?" Sky was disappointed.

"As long as you have a place for me, I will spend every night here with you"

And so was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Every night Star would come and talk about everything with Sky. And Sky was brighter because of it. He was no longer sad. In fact, Sky looked forward to spending nights with Star.

Star knew she was happy in her perch, too. Not only had she found a friend, but also she had found freedom. She was happy there each night, watching the sea from above, and seeing all of the new reflections she had created.

One night Sky realized something.

"Star?" He asked.

"Yes, Sky?" she replied.

"What do you call it when you live for one thing, one being other than yourself. When you can never stop thinking about that thing. And it is never off your mind. And you like everything about it. And you spend all of your time away wishing you were with them, and all your time with them hoping it would never end?"

Star thought. For a long while, she couldn't think of anything.

"Well," She finally whispered, "I think I know what you are talking about. I think you are talking about love."

"Love." Sky tried it on his tongue. "Yes... love. I like the sound of it. No, I love the sound of that."

"Why do you ask?" Star wondered aloud.

Suddenly Sky got nervous.

"Well.. I think maybe... I might love you."

Star did a flip and shone brighter than ever.

"Why, that's great!" She said. "I think I love you also."

And so forever they stayed the same, existing together in perfect love.

One day, many years after, Sky recalled the day he met Star.

"I don't know what I would do without you. Before you, all was dark. And you came and lit the world," He said, gazing upon the reflections of Star in the sea below.

"Well, I don't know what I'd do without you. Before I was in one place, paralyzed, dreaming of freedom. And you gave me freedom. More than. You gave me a home."

"Promise me you will forever shine bright," Sky asked.

"As long as you promise to not let me fall" Star replied.

And so it was. And it still is.



May your sky be lit with a thousand stars.
Girl In Blue.
lessthanthree

No comments:

Post a Comment